Thread: Tawdry Tulwar.
View Single Post
Old 25th March 2009, 08:49 PM   #27
Norman McCormick

Hi David,
Thanks for the pointers with regard to removing the hilt, it is a great help. I too am real curious about the marks, see the next bit.
My Regards,
Norman.

Hi Jens,
Thanks for your interest and info. I have isolated the centre impressions from both blade stamps, I would have to say that the similarity is uncanny, it might even be possible that it was the same tool used on both blades. I'm of the opinion that the stamp on my blade is slightly deeper, hence the small variations, but apart from that they are extraordinarily similar!!!! The blade on yours has some refinements that mine is lacking e.g. the fuller and the work on the spine but apart from that I do see similarities. Could the finer work on your blade account for the extra 'stamps' i.e. the suns? There are other stamps on my blade close to the hilt, photo in previous post, but they have been mostly erased by grinding. I don't know if the aforementioned is fanciful or not but to me the evidence is quite compelling. I suppose if I were correct in my assumption it only really means that a particular swordsmith made more than one blade, not unusual, and that varying degrees of blade complexity/quality were available, "plain!/deluxe!/custom!" etc. normal type commercial dealings between artisan and customer from time immemorial. In Europe blademaker and hiltmaker would usually be two different craftsmen would this have been the same in India? The hilt on your blade is quite something!! I look forward to hearing your views.
My Regards,
Norman.

P.S. Although, as you say, one can't assume that 'same hilt same origin' are there specifics which would tie a particular hilt design to a specific area? I'm thinking of the example of 'pin through hilt' type which generally points to N. India/Afghanistan origin.
Attached Images

Last edited by Norman McCormick; 25th March 2009 at 11:33 PM.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote