View Single Post
Old 15th July 2012, 02:54 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Definitely Mughal motif in the koftgari, especially the representation at the forte of the tunkou as seen on yataghans etc. in Ottoman style. The bird may be a dove, these kinds of symbols are often seen in Mughal leitmotif of dynasties and in various sultanate courts. The heavy blade with yelman is associated with usually earlier blades carried forward traditionally recalled the Turkic ancestry of the Mughals.
While Mughal courts profoundly were drawn to Persian culture, the clear Ottoman influences were possibly due to the use of Ottoman mercenary forces throughout many sultanates.
I would say this is end of 18th into early 19th and probably from one of the Deccani sultanates, perhaps into the Delhi regions to the north. I have seen this kind of forte decoration on tulwars even with British blades, one I think of was a British M1788 light cavalry blade.

What is particularly interesting with this hybridization of British and Indian blade features is that many of the early prototypes of the M1796 light cavalry sabre had certain peculiarities of some Eastern swords. One example of British officers sabre I have has this same type of yelman or widened point. In England these raised back points were called notched or latchback while termed 'yelman' in various interpretations among oriental swords.

BTW, welcome to the forums 'Lost Dutchman'....great handle!! The fabled Lost Dutchman mine is pretty fascinating, and seeing the Superstition Mountains region pretty much explains how these legends came to being.
Those mountains are indeed deadly and recently claimed yet another victim.

All best regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 15th July 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote