View Single Post
Old 7th December 2014, 08:28 AM   #15
BANDOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams all...Just a few notes to add... The material wrapping the stock and butt may be a pot metal mixture including aluminium. The condition of the sharply cut split palmette and work on the butt looks fresh...and whilst not unusual it may indicate relatively recent work done in this regard. Some evidence by ICOMAN indicates a possible European / German origin to matchlocks in the region particularly Oman...Please see http://www.muscatdaily.com/Archive/O...d-viewing-1znc ....however the Indian link for Yemen is clear for this style..since the umbilical chord of trade and close relations has tied the two countries firmly together for centuries. I see various stones used in the decoration to woodwork here including glass beads in the likeness of coral and ageek...(agate.) The huge butt wooden stopper is also typical of Yemeni style. Souks in the region appear to be still picking up through-put items like this from Sanaa and I wondered if this one came via the Sharjah Souk ?

I read an interesting article from [Link removed] where a comparison and link is attributed to Coorg guns in South India because of trade and mercenaries of Southern Arabia operating there...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
saalam Ibrahim,which is the best souks in Dubai or sharjah to look out for weapons like these,and how much would one expect to pay,can you buy these without a gun licence in the U.A.E
WHATS THE RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR BUYING GUNS FROM THERE,REGARDS RAJESH
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote