View Single Post
Old 10th September 2014, 07:07 AM   #9
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfarrell
Thanks for the replies and valuable information. The banding looks to be beaten silver to me, although i have not had it tested, and i agree probably added later to enhance its looks

I am interested in the actual gun type/make - if there is one associated with this piece, especially the makers mark on the top of the barrel - if anyone can shed some light on this?

If this piece is from a yemen/arab origin - did they also make the base weapon? or could it have been made in europe and transported out to the far east for local sale?

Many Thanks
Liam
OK to try and answer your questions. The gun TYPE is Matchlock. The barrels are often European or copies thereof, with (often) Italian type barrel marks. Several are shown in one of the links I gave you.
The gun itself is IMHO unlikely to have been made in Europe, and could have been made anywhere in Arabia or India. Beyond that I can not help, though others may have more concrete evidence as to origin.
As stated earlier, the term Indo/Arab is usually applied to this STYLE of matchlock.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote