View Single Post
Old 10th June 2012, 08:54 PM   #28
DaveA

Default Desert Wallah

Hi Dom,

"Desert Wallah" is a pejorative name for British high society men who would have an "adventurous" visit to British empire territorities in N. Africa. The term was used by local British administrators and more experienced travelers. In order to bolster their tales of daring-do, Desert Wallahs often brought back weapons, garb, and sometimes made photos such as this one in my collection. That is one reason well preserved edged weapons from the region can sometimes be found in family estate auctions. It also accounts for the odd ethnographic mixture of clothing and weapons in the picture!

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
Hi Dave
I look for "Desert wallah", because I never listen about a tribe or a Bedu group with "wallah" as name
but in Arabic, it's the contraction of "wallah al-azim" (swearing using God name)
in this case "Desert wallah" could (?) mean "I swear, Desert"

second thing who interrogated me ... your picture for the "Desert wallah"
- the man is dressed as a Palestinian, the "egal" and the "abaya" are symptomatic
- but the two edged weapons, aren't from that country, but absolutely from Magreb !!!

I haven't an rational explanation,
excepted if we considered this picture as a "artistic view" not as ethnographic document
anyway ... strange, I hope that some Arabic Bro. will come to help us

regards

à +

Dom
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote