Thread: Majapahit Keris
View Single Post
Old 13th June 2019, 10:34 PM   #16
A. G. Maisey

Here is another Mojo keris, this one is at Candi Penataran (Panataran), near Blitar. Penataran is mentioned in the Nagarakertagama as Candi Palah. Candi Panataran was built (approximately) between 1350 & 1389.

This is one of my favourite Majapahit keris representations.

These representations are not rare, nor are they singular Kai, they're all over the place. True, they need to be searched for, but if you're prepared to put the time in, they can be found.

I've spent a total of around two weeks at Penataran over the years, I've visited Candi Sukuh more times than I remember, probably about 50 to 60 visits, usually only of 2 or 3 hours, but that time builds up. Prambanan (Loro Jonggrang) I've spent a total of 5 or 6 weeks on, but during my early visits, the terraces were not open for viewing. Most other Candis I've only visited once or twice, and only for a day or so --- except for Borobudur, I've spent a lot of time there, but it is Buddhist, no keris nor keris-like daggers there. There is a lot of statuary that has been shifted from its original location and is now in museums --- these examples are not always easy to find.

This one is interesting because it shows the rapier grip, which means that it does not have the heavy Indian style pommel that most of these early keris have.

We call these weapons "keris" now, and they might have been called "keris" back then too, but perhaps only in generic terms, there are other candidates for an accurate name when Old Javanese language was in use, names like "tuhuk" & "tewek", which could well refer to the same weapon, but be a reference to mode of use.
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote