View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2011, 06:11 PM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan S.
A sandal, eh? How interesting! Somehow I get this mental image of Jackie Chan using all these ordinary objects (like shoes) in a fight scene in one of his movies But seriously, this makes perfect sense, and is not unlike European manuscripts showing fencers from the Renaissance times using a cape wrapped around a left hand to deflect opponent’s blows.

Would it be safe to assume that when not on the battlefield, a man carried a sword without a shield (such as during the peace times in an urban setting), and the contingency plan was to use an article of clothing in combination with a sword should he come under attack?
Salaams,
The interesting question relates to when was the shield dispensed with ? The sword became Iconic and carried as a badge of office thus the shield was seldom carried on normal visits for example to the Royal Court or meetings with dignatories.. Rather than carry a hefty great weapon( and shield) into meetings of court I imagine that the term court sword (for the lightweight court sword worn more for show than anything else) evolved. In the event of a weapons encounter anything would be better than nothing and a cloak could be a useful parrying device or another short sword or perhaps bollock dagger in the shield hand.. thus fighting with 2 blades which I believe was a style of combat.

An entire combat technique formed around sword and buckler use in Europe (and in fact, though differently, in Oman) and that combination would often be carried.

bhushan_lawate ... Salaams,Very interesting to read of the battle you depict...

Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote