View Single Post
Old 24th August 2008, 08:19 AM   #7
dralin23

hi jim.
at first many thanks for you very intresting long comment. it is the reason that i post some of my swords in the forum. i will learn as much as possible over my swords, than these swords are alo a part of my live( since i was a little dirty boy i build swords from wood and later also from steel and later i bougth very proud my first own ...) and so i will know all from theire history.
it is very intresting what you write as the use from watered steel by the forging from swordblades in india. many things are new for me. i donīt know until now that the produce from wootz steel in india was prohibited 1866. i think it was the tru reason was the english gouverment. so could gb.exported theire iron to india. i have also an khanda in my collection as i bought it it was offered as an 18.th.ct. khanda with an watered steel blade. the polish from the surface wasnīt good, so i canīt see so much. i thought i can see a little bit fom the wootz pattern in the steel. later when i polissh the blade at home and proof what a kind of steel it is i canīt find damascus steel. i try last week again to etch it( i thught i could make a mistake by the first etching) i used a thin nitrid acid (3%) but the end was the same a gray colour without any pattern. i think it is an 18.th. ct. rajasthan khanda, the blade is good, thin and very flexible with sharp edges and neveerless stought.
so was my question what a kind of steel was used to forg it. it is an foreign steel ore make the indian ironproducer also such an kind of steel in theire furnace. you give me a lot of answers.
again, thak you!!
dralin23 is offline   Reply With Quote