Thread: Warangan
View Single Post
Old 12th July 2010, 06:22 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Well, in my opinion the warangan work could not be better with these blades and I willl be open and curious to know what is wrong with it. If you can do as well or even better, congrats!
Oh Jean, i sincerely doubt i could do any better, but that's not my point. I am not a professional at such things and only aspire towards the practice because there's nobody living anywhere near me that i could bring my blades to for a professional job. I do the best i can and only hope that i get a little bit better at it each time.
You are, of course, absolutely correct that the success of staining will be, among many other variables, determined by the condition of the blade and ideal results are not always possible. A good strong color or blackening of the iron is not always obtainable. So you may be right, it is possible that the warangan could not be better with these particular blades. However, i have often done repeat washings on blades when i didn't like it the first time and found that it could indeed be better. So you never know until you try. It's not a matter of whether or not there is only a small amount of intact pamor.I guess for me, i am looking for a good even result with good "color". Different irons form different periods are going to yield different "colors", but the results should be even i think.
David is offline   Reply With Quote