View Single Post
Old 26th August 2013, 03:09 PM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Actually in my personal view, this is a most exciting item, and for myself and Cap'n Mark , it truly does add dimension to the favorite maritime topics especially the Pirates! While not a weapon itself....these and thier contents were certainly the focus of attention bringing the USE of weapons!!! .
Shrewd approach to forum scope

Quote:
As I have understood, most of these 'armada chests' (actually they were called 'strong boxes', the armada chest term again Victorian) seem to have been produced almost invariably in Germany, usually Nuremberg or Ausberg, and late 16th through 17th c.
Well, assuming this example is genuine and dated within the period you mention, is in an extremely good condition. It must have had a thorough cleaning treatment ... sandblasting ? And after that it had some finishing cover, judging by that greyish colour ?
Quote:
As noted this one is nearly 100 pounds empty....which when one imagines it filled with gold (very heavy) makes the gross weight formidable at best. Imagine a couple of pirates tramping through the sand carrying this full of gold!!!
Yes indeed Jim; gold being heavier than lead, it would need the whole crew to carry this chest fully loaded ... changing shifts every hundred steps. .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote