View Single Post
Old 15th July 2015, 03:45 PM   #46
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Indeed you do Kubur!! Thank you for posting this!
A favorite topic of mine from research years ago .
These guys started out as essentially 'security forces' at landed estates etc. then became border guards, ultimately formed into auxiliary units for Austria around mid 18th c. Baron von Trenck was the primary developer of these units, and they (as can be seen) were extremely uh, 'exotic'.

They were reconnaissance, skirmishers and foragers for the main body of military forces who were much feared as their depredations became more out of control . This to the point that von Trenck was jailed and the units disbanded.
However, the allure of the strategic effectiveness of these forces impressed other European armies as well as remaining an ideal type of unit in the auxiliary status of Austria.

The fearsome flamboyance and colorful style of these forces of course included much the same in their weaponry. They used yataghans, a wide range of arms from many ethnic groups, and much inspired military fashions in cavalry especially for many years into the 19th c.
I have seen cavalry swords which are hybrids of yataghan blade and 18th century hirshfanger (hunting) style hilts, and other Ottoman styled arms which could be attributed to these type units.
In auction a number of years ago was a yataghan type sword attributed to von Trenck (ref: Buttin, 1933).

I think that these kinds of sabres may well be attributed to these kinds of elements which existed and inspired military fashions in a number of European armies, with Austria at the fore, recalling that this sphere was essentially the Austro-Hungarian domain .
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote