View Single Post
Old 28th August 2022, 11:21 PM   #10
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidJ View Post
Thanks
I am advised this one is made by the late Empu Djeno Harumbrojo. In my view the dress is original to the blade.
This seems like nice keris. I am not sure why your advisors were so sure this is Empu Djeno's work though. I am not saying it is not, but i don't really see the evidence that it is. I have been led to understand that an empu's "signature" can sometimes be read in the greneng of a keris, more specifically in the way he forms his ron dha. It is not easy to find clear examples of Djeno keris that some details of the greneng, but here is one i found that did have documentation certifying it as a Djeno keris (and yes, such things can be faked).
I did also find another keris that is identified as a Djeno keris with a similar pamor to yours. Unfortunately there are no details of this keris that i can find.
Regarding the rest of the ensemble, this looks like it was once fairly decent dress. The detail work on the pendok and the black enamel look well done. The mendak is not bargain basement, but it does not appear to be high end either. I doubt they are real stones. This dress does seem to have been abused quite a bit if we consider it is something that is not really more than 25-30 years old. Frankly i don't think we can blame the condition of the dress on it being held in a Western setting. Anyone who would possess a Djeno keris would have obviously been aware of what they had and treated it more kindly. It's not the kind of keris that is likely to turn up at the local flea market or gun show and people who bought keris from Djeno paid top dollar for it and would more often than not keep the certificate of authenticity with the keris if they were to sell it and use it's creators name as a selling point.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote