View Single Post
Old 7th July 2010, 08:03 AM   #19
Tatyana Dianova

I have a curious dagger which was discussed here (please scroll down a bit to see it) :
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5784

The most interesting part of it is a stamped upper mount of the scabbard, which depicts three women. All parts fit to each other perfectly and look like they were put together a very long time ago. The seller told me that this dagger was the part of a private German collection put together at the beginning of the 20th century.

Yesterday I seem to have found the key to the mystery, where this dagger was made (or at least put together)! Take a look at the picture of the Hindu silver amulet from the northern India, rural Himachal Pradesh. These amulets are very typical for this region and appear only there, so I am pretty sure that the dagger originated there too!

These amulets depict in a very distinctive manner three figures, side by side, wearing full skirts, and 3-lobed hats or crowns. It is a traditional folk image representing the Mother Goddess (Hoi Mata) as a trinity. Hoi Mata presides over the well being of the family in the local folk beliefs. (Sources: Oppi Untracht “Traditional Jewelry Of India”, Google :-)
Attached Images

Tatyana Dianova is offline   Reply With Quote