View Single Post
Old 5th November 2016, 08:06 PM   #10
Cerjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
On this interesting ivory hilt cuphilt, the 'IN MENE' is an often used phrase or wording on German blades which in essence means 'in mind'.
The ship marking is most interesting, especially with this apparent three masted configuration.

A marking of a simple ship with sail and single mast was known to have been used by Clemens Kueller (Koller) 1675-1715 (noted p.143 Bezdek).
I am wondering if that might have evolved from the mark of a very stylized ship under the capital letter 'M' from mid 16th c, Milan. This is described in Wallace Collection (Mann, 1962, p.361) and stated the connection to Clemens Kueller from such mark and on the rapier of Heinrich Julius c. 1585. There is obviously a discrepancy in the period (by a century!) but this is the only 'ship' use in markings found.

I did find instance of the use of the 'ship' as an early Christian symbol representing the 'barque of St. Peter'
It is also interesting to note that the duchy of Milan was under control of Spain until the Spanish War of Succession (1701-14) which accounts (along with other Spanish provinces in Italy) for the profound connections between Italy and Spain in these swords.
The oblate pommels were a feature common on these c. 1660s+.

Nothing concrete, but interesting clues as to the period and details on this rapier.
Jim

Looking to This FALCHION (plate 110 ) with a M in a ship I have thought few minutes that this three-masted boat could be a boat with a M ON the top but looking more closer I have no doubt that it is three-masted boat.
Best
Jean-Luc
Attached Images

Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote