View Single Post
Old 25th September 2020, 05:25 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default The lowly (?) briquet, a story of resolution

I recently relocated a sword that was one of the very first I ever bought, I believe around 1966 at a swap meet in a drive in theater in California.
Young and very wide eyed, this simple 'cutlass' looking sword, heavy and solid to me just must have been a 'pirate' sword.

As years went on, and my obsession increased, I learned that this was actually a well known type of hanger used in the British army in the artillery in the late 18th c. into the 19th. However, it seems to have been a common munitions grade form that was represented in virtually all European armies and all virtually the same with the characteristic cast brass ribbed hilt with short hanger blades of varying length.

Apparently these 'briquets' were in use with the French in mid 18th century in infantry (the term 'briquet appears to be French meaning 'light' earlier describing 'light saber').They were well known in Napoleons army as the ANIX, ANXI, and ANXIII for model years from 1800+

British suppliers apparently saw these as useful for artillery gunners and began producing copies probably in 1790s. While not necessarily good as a combat weapon, they were handy in a utility sense for chopping wood (emplacement construction etc.) though could of course serve as weapon if overrrun.

The thing with these weapons is that they are so common and alike, unless there are distinct markings, it is difficult to identify them by country.
On mine, there were only the initials PS in a cartouche on the hilt.
I tried unsuccessfully to find matching initials in British sword makers etc, but in those days, aside from a few references, there were no clues as to who PS might be.

I assumed many possibilities, including possibly Spanish colonial, but no really convincing solutions. At one point however, I saw some detail on silversmiths and thought, this PS sort of does look like a hallmark. I tried reaching antique dealers handing silver items but most seemed appalled that Paul Storr, one of the most celebrated British precious metals artists, could have produced this 'common' weapon.
This left it 'case closed, unresolved', for decades.

Enter the late Richard Bezdek, with his "Swords and Sword Makers of England and Scotland" (2003) on p. 158........there it was,
PAUL STORR.

Apparently he was not only a goldsmith and silversmith, but a hilt maker and sword cutler, as was indeed often the case in these days as I have learned.
It is noted he apprenticed in 1784-91 under William Rock in London.

In 1792, he entered his first mark: PS !!!
He apparently retained this mark throughout his career, and became famed for his neo classical style in the Regency period. He produced items for King George III, and George IV of England.

It does compellingly appear that this 'lowly' hanger, bought for just a few dollars decades ago in a most unseemly place, has notably historic origins, and while 'just an old artillery hanger' was produced in the workshop of a soon to be famous artisan.

Such is the adventure and joy of being an arms historian, and listening to the stories told by these 'old warriors' as the weapons tell us who they really are.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote