View Single Post
Old 4th November 2017, 10:54 AM   #28
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Thank you Kubur,

but I really doubt that they would make a "good" fighting knife. What I have observed is that the ones without ricasso at the edge seems to be heavy used in the middle and the ones with are worn in the first third of the edge like it get something cut at the same place and same manner when you understand what I mean. I think Betel would be a good guess. This was also part in my previous request, is there known any solid based knowledge for what they get used regularly? And I have another statement about we should think about, there are so many fancy ones that I think it was worn by celebration and show the status also!?

Best regards,
Detlef

Please see #18 above where I outline with a quotation from a famous Museum ~ http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O...g-tool-unknown/ ~ Quote" [B]

The pihiya or piha kaetta was a hand knife of often delicate workmanship from Southern India and Sri Lanka. It was commonly carried in an ornate scabbard as a personal accessory and sometimes also included a stylus for writing on palm leaf. The degree of decoration often signified the rank or status of the individual and ornate knives were presented to individuals as tokens of esteem."Unquote.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote