Thread: Wood Daggers
View Single Post
Old 4th February 2010, 10:38 PM   #5
Dimasalang

Quote:
Originally Posted by chregu
hello Dimasalang
Thanks for the detailed description.
When I bought the daggers, (there are only two with the colored thread) they told me that they were from Central or South America. then there are also palm trees. If you are the botanical name of the palm, the one on the Philippines could be to find out, I would be grateful to you.
with friendly greetings chregu
There are two main palms in the Philippines that are now defined as "Bahi" wood. The coco palm and the Anahaw. The coco palm is mass produced and is now passed off as BAHI for the main market...most sellers will say, yes it is Anahaw just to get you to buy it. Anahaw bahi wood is more rare, more authentic, and said to be more stronger...in other words, the real deal. From what my wife says, the Anahaw palm is not a large palm tree either. I have a Kamagong stick and Bahi stick that are the same exact size, and the bahi stick is heavier and feels just as dense.

http://en.wikipilipinas.org/index.ph...a_rotundifolia

Like I mentioned, Philippines I know for a fact aren't the only ones who used palm tree wood. What is interesting, for some reason palm wood is getting popular here in the US now, I would guess because of the decorative different look it gives off...but I read it is also very hard to work with. The supply is coming from South America and they are calling it Black Palm and Red Palm. I notice the grains/fibers are not as tight as what I see coming from the Philippines...so I doubt they are more dense and stronger, and possibly more comparable to the Philippines coco bahi palm wood.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote