View Single Post
Old 13th March 2023, 09:58 PM   #10
urbanspaceman

Default Hounslow and Londin

I think it has been agreed-upon that not all four digit numbers refer to dates, but there was certainly plenty blade-work going on at Hounslow in 1668.
Much has been declared regarding the period following the end of the civil war and certainly many Germans found themselves in Oxford, either at Wolvercote or Gloucester Hall.
Despite this, and despite the much repeated statement that all the mills were commandeered by Cromwell and converted to powder mills, there remained significant activity. Obviously, Cromwell was not so stupid as to totally eradicate his own source of weapons.
Kindt was in Stone's mill; Cook and Risby were still there; and Dell was certainly working for one of them until taking over either Cook or Kindt's (Stone's) mill. Probably Kindt's as I suspect that Dell had served his time with Kindt.
Also, Peter Munsten and Johannes Hoppie were still around and were actually approached by representatives of King Charles 2nd regarding re-establishing a native sword-works.
The king, in 1674, was very keen to achieve this, but sadly nothing came of it, despite the London Cutlers approving of the project. It came to nothing because it was not deemed practical in the light of massive imports flooding into the country, and the Cutler's Company lacking the power to prevent it. They had repeatedly asked for the powers to not only curb poor quality imports and Birmingham junk, but also to prevent the enormous population of highly skilled Huguenots in London from taking work of the English.
However, what is sometimes overlooked is that Charles 2nd created and privately funded his own army, and those standing troops were exercising on Hounslow Heath, so any smiths and furbours around at the time will have found plenty work. In fact, Heinrich Hoppie jnr. and Peter Henkels returned to Hounslow and were working with Dell until they all moved up to Shotley Bridge in 1685.
This was, of course, absolutely in keeping with the need to arm the Royalist and Catholic militia that abounded in the Northern counties and Scotland.
Consequently, this blade may well have come from Hounslow but equally may have been made by Huguenots operating in London (Hounslow was outside of London).
I am not au fait with the history of basket hilts but I do know that pre. civil war Stone (1629 - 1642) was making hilts from brass which seriously angered the Cutler's Company who considered them insubstantial.
Actually, looking at the name Humffreies, and the spelling of Londin I feel certain it was a Huguenot product.

Last edited by urbanspaceman; 13th March 2023 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Final comment.
urbanspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote