View Single Post
Old 12th November 2013, 01:01 AM   #4
Emanuel

Yes Teodor, Ariel's post is what got me looking into Zeybeks.

Thank you for the clarification Sancar. The term "Zeybek" wasn't clear when I first read about it. Robert Elgood in "The Arms of Greece" lists one example (#172) that's actually very nicely decorated in silver with the T-pommel and he also notes the Yoruk origin of many Zeybeks.

The thing about these yataghan is that they tend to have thicker blades than the Balkan types. Generally the blade is twice as thick and it has an integral bolster. There are also very similar yataghan with horn pommel scales with very small "years", and often with "Turkish ribbon" blades, and a false silver or solder bolster at the base of integral bolster, said to be 18th century (attached), so I'm trying to track down the areas of their manufacture.

On the surface all yataghan are similar, with the same overall shape. The construction is different though, thick blade with thick tang and integral bolster, thin blades with same thickness all the way to the tang and separate silver/gold/whatever bolsters that are aesthetic, not structural.

Where and when did this thicker construction method come into play?

Emanuel
Attached Images

Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote