Thread: Haladie
View Single Post
Old 4th April 2016, 04:48 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Ibrahiim thank you for the note on the Sudanese haladie, which indeed are most often associated with these regions after the Mahdiyya, and many were brought back as trophies.
In Stone, he also notes these are referred to as 'Syrian' daggers, and I believe that the path to the Sudan was probably via the Mamluks, who ruled in Egypt as well as Syria. When they were driven out of Egypt they fled to the south and situated in Sudanese regions where many had already relocated earlier.
In my opinion this is the reason many of these are often covered in thuluth script, as that was a well known Mamluk affectation.

Jens, than you for pointing that out on the haladie I posted, and my apologies for not properly attributing it to one you had posted. I overlooked that in my notes. It is an extremely nice example!

Estcrh, I must say that I very much appreciate the examples and illustrations which you locate remarkably effectively and keenly pertinent to these discussions. I also would note that your well cited notes along with these are extremely helpful as supportive entries on those lines, which again highlights my faux pas with the one Jens had posted oops.
The conversion from Hejira to Gregorian calendar most helpful too!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote