David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Oh David!!!!

You doubter!!!!

Goodness,gracious me!
Alan, you can just call me Thomas...

Jean, i don't really have that much interest in keris with holes eroded through the sogokan or for that matter keris with forging flaws which are then exaggerated to appear intentional. I am, however, very interested in keris with more of a mystical nature and i am indeed interested in keris where a combong has been placed in the blade by the smith with purpose and intention. That is why i am trying to make the distinction.
I suppose that given the literal translation of the word combong/complong as "hole" that any hole in a keris can legitimately be named as such. However, i am aware of the lore which assigns a specific mystical nature to such holes and what i am questioning is whether that mystical assignment began with intentional openings in the blade or whether it is also valid for these worn-through examples. It does seem to me that the worn-through variety receive such attention simply to increase the desirability of an otherwise worn out blade. But i am not claiming to know the answer here, only question it.