View Single Post
Old 9th September 2006, 01:32 AM   #24
BluErf

Here in Singapore, some Chinese people that I have spoken to about the keris had the same idea that the keris was a poisoned weapon. One of them was a Chinese-educated middle-aged man who spoke little English. He must have heard it from his other Chinese-speaking friends. He also believed that kerises harboured spirits. He was concerned enough to advise me to stop collecting kerises because it was 'too much to handle' for a young man like me.

Interestingly, I was lightly scratched by a Riau spear in Adni's shop a couple of years back. It was made with similar steel and pamor material as kerises, and was etched with warangan. It was also a little bit dirty and rusty. The scratch drew very little blood, but it festered with pus for 2 weeks before healing, and it left a scar. If someone was stabbed, I'm sure he would be in some serious trouble. I wonder if this sort of observations led to the idea that the keris bore posion.

And for those interested, the spear is still in Adni's shop. I keep my distance from that spear now. But come to think of it, it is a beautiful spear.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote