View Single Post
Old 6th May 2014, 11:11 PM   #5
Kerja

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your very kind words! And thank you very much for such a detailed answer! I will try to examine all the links on Sunday, when I will have a day free and might be I will have more questions and ideas.

I will also ask about the circumstances finding the barrel, where exactly it was found in the castle and what items were found near it. Because thetheory was that it was lost during the siege of the castle by Ivan the Terrible army, what was in 1577 what contradicts with the version of the 17th century modernisation of the pan.

Unfortunately, during the excavations there were almost no artifacts found which would be connected with early firearms. Most of the military related findings were the parts of body armour from about the same period as the barrel and lock. So we can speculate that during this period the armament of the castle was modernised.

I know of finding of two wheellock pistols, bullet mould and some bullets. If you have an interest, I can try to get some photos and descriprion.

Best regards and thank you once again for the information provided!

Kirill
Kerja is offline   Reply With Quote