View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2014, 02:41 AM   #1
Kerja

Default XVI century matchlock and barrel, help with more precise dating

Dear Sirs,

I need help with dating of a couple of firearms related items found during Wenden (Cesis) castle excavations in Latvia. Both items were probably lost during or before the siege of the castle in 1577. During excavation a lot of armour parts dating 1500-1540 were found in the cellar parts of the castle.

The first item is a matchlock mechanism with a plate. It was unearthed in 1927 and sadly it did not survived till our time. The only thing is left of it is a quite blurry and unclear picture. It was not cleaned prior making photo so the details are unclear. I presume it is a snap tinderlock of about 1510-40's with side button trigger.

The second object is an arquebuse barrel, it was unearthed recently and cleaned and now is in the possession of Cesis museum, so, there is a possibility to get more photos and measurements if needed. It has a build in pan with it's cover missing and no tang. The caliber is about 14-15 millimeters and the length of the barrel about 62 centimeters. The profile is octogonal changing lines at about 1/3 from the rear. So, I would date the barrel of about the same period. On the rear side of the barrel are the outlines of the gunsmith mark and please also take a look at the muzzle part of the barrel, I have outlines the details of an ornament.

I would greatly appreciate any additional information and opinions about these items and the look of the whole arquebuses.
Attached Images

Kerja is offline   Reply With Quote