View Single Post
Old 16th July 2011, 12:31 PM   #39
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiontay
Even today Kiowa women, when dressed in traditional dress, have a knife sheath on their belt. These days the sheath is empty as often as not, but back in the old days it wasn't. Knives obviously were mainly tools, but women also carried them for defense, and sometimes offense as well. If a grandmother thought her grand daughter was being mistreated by her husband, he might end up getting cut by his wife's grandmother.

I think that's an interesting point.
There is a HUGE cultural gulf in the attitudes towards knives and weapons use by women.

I've never met an English girl who had anything more than a passing appreciation of edged weapons and most don't like them at all.
As my lovely mrs occasionally reminds me "it's a boy thing really".

By contrast.... (and I know a single example is hardly a fair sample) a friend of mine is originally from the Phillipines and whenever her and her other half come over for a visit, she is absolutely enthralled by my weapons collection.
She loves small daggers and conealable weapons, she likes swords and happily inspects any new additons with a definate glint in her eye (making her partner most uncomfortable!).
She gleefully regales us with tales of her years in Manilla and the different knives she carried, her favourite sword that she kept in the bar she owned, how she would chase trouble makers out with it etc.
She's quite a character!

Doesn't seem too familiar with the diverse Phillipine types and isn't any help in identifications.
But a completely different view on weapons from western gal's for sure!

Gene

P.S.
Things my other half says on the subject of my weapons:
When I show her a new acquisition:

"I don't want to hold it, it looks dirty"

*sniff* "I don't want to touch it, it'll make my hands smell like pennies"

(on the subject of a new Kukri) "hmm, you've seen one, you've kind of seen them all haven't you?"

Last edited by Atlantia; 16th July 2011 at 12:45 PM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote