View Single Post
Old 28th September 2014, 07:47 PM   #7
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Nirghosa,
As it could possibly be of great help could you please post a photo of your punyal for comparison with mine?

Detlef,
I again hope that you are correct in your opinion of the hilt material and that the scabbard as well.

Dave,
Being that the Philippines were (somewhat) under Spanish control for close to 400 years their influence shows itself in many of the edged weapons, Luzon in particular. I hope that you can remember where you have seen another blade of similar shape before as I have only seen some that vaguely resemble it on as I stated earlier Mexican bowie knives. The length of the upper edge (whether false or sharpened) is what is throwing me the most on this piece. It gives it an almost gunong appearance. I also agree with your explanation of where the tin (if that is what it turns out to be) originated from. As for age I must (for now) stick to my original opinion that it is pre WWII, but that could change once it has arrived and I have had time to inspect it. My thanks to everyone that has replied so far for your interest and opinions on this piece.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote