View Single Post
Old 20th February 2006, 02:18 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Luc,
Thank you for adding that outstanding bibliography!! These are all excellent titles, and many of the titles though published in one language, carry subcaptions and other language summarizations.
As can be seen by my post on this item, identifying ethnographic weapons is often extremely subjective and despite the numerous resources, a considerable degree of speculation and consideration is often required.

To identify a weapon specifically using the typology offered as guidelines in most resources is typically very fortunate. The hybridization, diffusion through trade and reworking of various weapons with the often nomadic movements ,in degree,of tribal peoples, most often compounds the difficulty in exact identification . With weapons becoming composite over long working lives, accurate dating also usually presents a problem. The provenance of a weapon usually offers only its place and time of collection, and while its noting can often present sound identification, there are obviously many complications which may discredit such noted provenance. In the case of museums there have been numerous instances of miscataloging, items misplaced in incorrect groupings and other similar situations. The provenance of a weapon from private collections typically relies heavily on assumption unless the weapon is collected personally rather than acquired through purchase from secondary sources. Fortunately there are numerous dealers whose reputations are beyond reproach, and thier descriptions, reflecting sound experience, may be relied upon.

Thank you again for adding those outstanding titles (some of which I do not yet have so gotta get busy!!! and for the opportunity to add my own notes for any collectors just starting in 'the great game'!! that is collecting ethnographic edged weapons.

All the very best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote