View Single Post
Old 30th March 2014, 02:43 PM   #74
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Absolutely excellent entry Ibrahiim, and good comparison of decorative style of Zanzibari material culture applied on this sa'if hilt of 'nimcha' style. In this case we have compelling evidence comparatively suggesting this sword to have been produced in Zanzibar.
It is interesting to note that the 'D' ring guard feature which has been claimed to be a characteristic of these swords produced in Zanzibar is notably absent.

As I noted in a concurrent thread on Zanzibar nimchas, in rechecking the Buttin reference shown, all of these examples shown (#996-1002) are classified as "Arab' and from 17th into 18th centuries.

Salaams Jim .. This discovery is 100% down to Michael Backman ... I was just the postman! In looking around I also pulled a few carved combs out of the system though not gold worked certainly from the same region. The "Michael Backman Comb" however sets a benchmark next to this important sword as a statement to its (the hilt) manufacture on Zanzibar.

Below another comb from the same region though not worked in gold showing the roundels in its design (similar to the roundels on the displayed Nimcha Hilt and the *"swirling roundels" on the scabbard ) and another scene of Swahili girls on Zanzibar combing hair; from www.ezakwantu.com

*A style usually attributed as Omani though the common link to Zanzibar is likely.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 30th March 2014 at 03:14 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote