View Single Post
Old 20th March 2016, 02:33 PM   #28
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Maybe a few Omani individuals who are around the area you work in call it Habaabi? A few Omani researchers (Jamal AlKindi for one) seem to simply call it a Saudi Khanjar amongst other Omani collectors. Thats hardly an argument. I think its an issue of what the locals call it and what foreigners do. I tend to go with what the locals use :-))

Still, Omanis, or any other Arab society for that matters, do not call Abha "Habaabi" I find that very odd especially that there is no source or anything to support it.

All Asiri makers copy the dojani style. The style simply got modified by having a slightly more curved scabbard compared to the one posted by HarryWagner. Pictures added of one perfect example actually, previously posted in the forum. The chape inscription while faded, I am able to read it and its made by non other than Hussain AlDajani himself.

I agree that there is a very strong similarity to Oman. But other parts of the peninsula used similar styles as old as the Saidi. I'll forward you an article soon just doing the final touches :-))

Salaams, There is some confusion here. Are you mixing up Asiri and al Ahsa weapons?
Are they different?...

1. I think the Ahsa come from Oman by direct camel train from Nizwa and Buraimi. It may be remembered that Wilfred Thesiger came across an Omani camel train in the 1950s laden with goods and slaves bound for the Al Ahsa Oasis. My view is that Ahsa was supplied by camel train and also by sea from Muscat...It is also possible they got ships on the coast delivering goods either directly onto the Saudia coast or via Bahrain thence to al Ahsa.

2. Regarding the Asir. Ships were on that route from Muscat and Sur to Jazzan then Zanzibar ...Stone town Zanzibar was the capital of Oman under Said the Great 1804 to 1856. It became the capital in about 1840....The Omani al Wustah Khanjar is mirrored in the Asir design.

In both cases the Omani Khanjar design is dominant in Ahsa and Asiri design. Omani people call the Asiri type "Habaabi" meaning of Abha the capital in the region. (see map) What is clear is that Asir style comes directly from the Sharqiyyah in the form of the al Wustah Khanjar...and thus the sea port of Sur is important.

In terms of the Ahsa it is by no means clear. More research needs to be done. Regarding what you think some collectors here call it...I cannot say, nor does it form part of a scientific reasoning...but broadly speaking the consensus across Oman's souks seems to indicate that Habaabi means of that region around Abha...which seems fairly logical.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 20th March 2016 at 02:56 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote