View Single Post
Old 17th March 2016, 05:50 AM   #11
A.alnakkas

Its a good dagger and not made yesterday. If that's what's worrying you, Harry.

Good pictures too, but reversed (which is fine) its my main language so you can trust me on this one. It says: Mohammed AbdulMajid Dajani. This is actually very interesting as it shows something I've seen rarely but was present in multiple pieces that fell in my collection or seen in other collections. Mohammed AbdulMajid (there is no other with that name I know of,who made khanjars) signed it "Dajani" keep in mind that family names always start with "al" its more of a testament to its original or perhaps most skilled maker, Hussain alDajani.

The best thing about AlHasa makers was to me their close proximity to my country and to the citizens of my country. Hasawis are very family/clan oriented and pride themselves in knowing each other. So when I began my research I struggled first until I began asking Hasawis and a wealth of information was unlocked. All of the sudden I know that makers of swords/daggers I own are alive and some inherited by their children who continue the work still (albeit only for custom orders)

I am in contact with Mohammed AbdulMajid's nephew and AlHasa's most prominent researcher, the craftmanship is dying out with the young choosing other professions and the old either quitting due to lack of income or simply passing away. So you do have a decent item with a rich history to appreciate, and this type is closely connected to a previous type that I am working to produce a proper article on its history.

So, dont be upset about digits that the local users and makers never really cared about :-)))
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote