View Single Post
Old 26th September 2018, 01:51 AM   #3
M ELEY

Default The Dutch hanger script

I picked up the Dutch hanger outside of Colonial Williamsburg. The seller listed it as a 'Civil War sword' ( ). It no longer has it's shell guard (a shame) and the hilt wrap is gone. I suspect the hilt ferral is gold, but I haven't had it tested. Note the flowing leaf decoration in the above pic. The sword is inscribed on both sides and Jasper/Cornelisstompe was most helpful in translating it (see below)

Side 1- tussen De osjes sluys En Olie slagers Steeg tot Amsterdam
Side 2-Gerret Burghorst Mr Swaardveger in der Kalver Straat

The maker is Gerrit Burghorst.

He made ​​several swords in the period 1740-1760 (maybe later)and had his studio in amstersdam. 18thc Dutch quality weapons were signed with the sword maker and address of the workshop. There is a hunting hanger ex visser collection with "gerhardt Burg Horst in de warmoes straat tot Amsterdam. (address) but this may also have been his father.
Gerrit burghorst had his workshop at the Kalverstraat and signed;
Gerrit Burghorst mr zwaardveger in de kalverstraat tot (or a) Amsterdam.
In the 18th century the houses had no numbers so the position between lanes or known points were indicated.

your hanger is very interesting because it indicates the exact location/address of the workshop at the kalverstaat;between the osjes sluys and olieslagers steeg(tussen de osjes sluys en olie slagers steeg
best,
jasper
Attached Images

M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote