View Single Post
Old 4th September 2022, 06:12 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I was rather awaiting more detail on this from Fernando, as he is by far the authority on things Portuguese here, and my feel is this is most likely a Portuguese example of a munitions grade, ersatz weapon. The fact that this is a composite weapon does not detract from its viability, as rural posts in the Iberian peninsula as well of course colonial regions of both Portugal and Spain well used these kinds of arms.

While this has the overall feel of mid 18th c., the cup hilt remained in use throughout and in colonial settings even longer. The broad shoulder blade which tapers dramatically to point seems somewhat like earlier Portuguese types. However, without fullers and in this section, especially with the notable numbers and other possible proof or other stamps remind me of training type blades of later period. Clearly the training purpose with sharp point is contrary to that as these blades are typically rounded. The pommel appears of latter 18th c.
The quillon style, faux rompepuntas resemble some Portuguese examples in this period and classification.

The wire grip is unusual and of some concern, Is it cast and rusty or painted?

I look forward to comments toward my thoughts.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote