Thread: Former Bayonet
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2018, 02:11 AM   #30
RobT

Default Abel Domenech Has Responded

Hi All,
Mr Domenech has responded. With his permission (given in a subsequent email), I have posted his response. In the email I sent to him asking for his permission to share his information, I also sent the length of the blade (46.5cm). When writing back to me, Mr Domenech concluded that, "Considering the length of your blade, I tend to think this comes from the Remington Modelo Argentino de 1879 single shot rifle". Below is the information contained in the first email Mr Domenech sent to me.

Regarding your knife.

It is not a tipical "gaucho knife" or a facon or caronero, though I feel it was certainly made here in my Country. Except for the blade the handle is not the usual shape of these knives.

The blade is taken most probably from a bayonet for the Argentine Model Mauser of 1891 or 1909. These bayonets were imported from Germany and made by the famous firm Kirschbaum. The RA in circle is the military inspection mark.
There is also the possibility of this blade coming from a bayonet for the Remington Model 1879, depending the length. It was also made by same German maker.
You donīt mention the lenght but the Mauser bayonets blades are about 39 cms while the Remington ones are a bit longer around 45/46 cms.

The handle and part of the sheath (crude color) is made of raw hide woven in an interesting pattern which is a very popular technique which is very nice to view and handle but not practical as it is not very durable if it receives a very hard use, so it is usually reserved to knives made for collection or less use than a daily tool.

This technique was popularized during the 1930/40`s up to the present, and the thinner the threads used (which are made by cutting hides by the same artisan) more fine is the final work considered but also more fragile.

The technique is also used for handles of other objects like quarts or riding crops.

I would say this piece is very old but from the XX Century (may be from the 1940īs through 1960`s) and ordered by some country man to a local artisan and using the blade from a bayonet which was a type of blade often used in making facones and dagas here.

The use of a reptile skin in contrast adds a touch of interest to this piece.

I hope this little info is of your interest.

Best cordial regards, Abel Domenech

Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote