View Single Post
Old 26th April 2018, 09:34 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle_2010
It left us some questions:
1. Why there are different types of sepuhan in the keris?
2. What is the actual purpose of this "sepuhan" process in the keris making? Is it having the same purpose as "quenching" in the blade making or is there more purpose to it?
3. Is there literally exist a "poisonous keris"?
Hi Oracle. I was waiting for someone like Alan to come along to address your questions since he has far more experience in processes of forging than i do. I am sure if i get some of this wrong either he or someone else will correct me.
As i understand it sepuhan, when the word is applied to the keris forging process, it is the method of harding the blade to make it usable as a real weapon. Quenching would be the first part of that. Then the blade would be tempered, reheated at a somewhat lower themperature, to soften the hardening a little so that the steel is not so brittle and doesn't just crack in use.
These are different blades done by different smiths from somewhat different cultures at different times so it is not surprising that each smith applied this process to different degrees. Some may have felt that just hardening the tip was enough while others went further down the blade. Most keris smiths these days don't bother with this hardening process at all since there is always the risk of cracking and failing welds when to is applied. Since most modern keris are made to be seen for their artistry, not used as weapons, the hardening process becomes a risky and unnecessary step.
I see that you are still wondering about the concept of the poison keris. I believe the first thread you opened specifically on that subject answered those questions for you. Alan stated that he was aware of such a process down with snake venom i believe, though i do not believe it was commonly done with most keris.
Again, any poison that is added and then heated to a high degree in the hardening process would only be made ineffective by that process of heat. If people are saying that such a thing was done it is probably more legend than fact, or if it was done it was a useless procedure because the science of it would be faulty and invalidate the effects of any poison.
David is offline   Reply With Quote