View Single Post
Old 28th June 2013, 11:34 PM   #42
A. G. Maisey

Thanks Spunjer, these authors are perhaps a good place to start for anybody who wishes to do the necessary work.
Over my morning coffee I've had a quick look at these people, and although their published works do not seem to indicate any specificity in respect of the matters raised here, they do indicate that a selective search and perusal of those works could assist anybody with any interest and commitment.
I did not search the Forum, but rather went to net searches. Here are my notes made from those searches:-

Najeeb M. Saleeby, Cesar Adib Majul, James F. Warren, Ruurdje Laarhoven, William Henry Scott

Najeeb M. Saleeby --- writings in history, law, religion

James F. Warren, --- archival historian --- The Sulu Zone: The Dynamics of External Trade, Slavery and Ethnicity in the Transformation of a Southeast Asian Maritime State, 1768-1898

Cesar Adib Majul --- modern history--- Muslims in the Philippines, University of the Philippines Press (1973, 1999) ISBN 971-542-188-1

Ruurdje Laarhoven --- cultural anthropology---professor at Hawaii Pacific University, several publications

William Henry Scott--- extensive writings --- highly regarded

I know I must sometimes sound like a broken record, and I apologise for this, but I do believe that those of us who have an interest in the material culture of any culture or society can only benefit by gaining a better understanding of that culture or society.

The weapons of any people are the physical objects produced by those people which display the highest degree of technology available to them. This is as true of Stone Age Man as it is of our present time:- flint knives to modern weapons that are so secret that we are not even allowed to know they exist. State of the art technology for the time.

If you have an interest in the weaponry of any people you are doing yourself a very great service by learning more of the way in which that weaponry came into being and of the society and culture which produced it.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote