View Single Post
Old 29th March 2010, 03:01 AM   #22
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjawulung
Dear Shahrial,
Maybe this is a stupid question. Is there any relevance, between name of "cherita" or cerita/carita of this 9 luks keris with dhapur's name in javanese keris' idiom? Would you enlighten me, is there any book on names of dhapur of Pattani kerises, or Kelantani kerises?
Dear pak Jimmy,

I don't think the question is stupid. I've though of it as well. I do not feel that it's the same as the javanese dapur Carita. When mentioned as keris cherita (carita/cerita), in Malay context, it meant a Peninsular piece with shallow fullers.. normally in a straight blade configuration of the Peninsular variety. However, there are contentions, from the various school of thoughts. For a book on Peninsular Kerises, you can refer to my site, Rahsia Keris Melayu. The book is written in Malay.

Quote:
My question is related with my confuseness on names and naming of dhapur. Because what I know in javanese keris term, if I'm not mistaken, dhapur carita (or some variants of dhapur carita) comes with 11 luks (carita, carita bungkem, carita daleman, carita gandhu, carita genengan, carita keprabon, carita prasaja -- with only slight differenceS in very small details in each carita), and also comes with 15 luks carita buntala, luk 17 carita klenthang or kalenthang...
In my post, I indicate cherita (cerita/carita) not as a dapur. I indicated as "a keris cherita (cerita/carita) from Pattani". In malay language of the Peninsular, there are various accents, the use of the brackets is to indicate alternative spelling and pronunciation. I'm aware of the various carita dapurs you mentioned. That is not what I meant.

Quote:
the name of "carita" or "cerita" in Pattani or Kelantan kerises have relation with "carita" in javanese term which means more or less, "story" or "tales"? I apologize for my ignorance...

GANJAWULUNG
Unfortunately, I do not have enough knowledge to be certain if it does or does not have relation. However, the loose translation of cherita is, 'a blade with a story'.. I suppose, in the Peninsular, the term is loosely used refering to a variety of blades regardless of luks, unlike in Java, where it is strictly adhered to, a dapur form in pakem. I hope that gives you some clarity with my statement.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote