View Single Post
Old 27th March 2009, 05:29 AM   #17
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I keep returning to this most intriguing sword blade, and the more I look at it, the more puzzling it seems.
The blade shape is truly unusual, and though I know the scramasax is of course too early (6th-10th c.) it is interesting that this blade tip has the similar downward slope tip, and the double fuller seen on a number of these. These weapons ranged from knives to sword length, but certainly do not seem this long, its the profile of the blade that this recalls. It would be most interesting to know more on where this blade was found.

Even more of a conundrum is the epigraphy concerning the inscriptions on the faces of the forte. While the magic square reference seems applicable, at least on one side, these various characters or symbols seem to correspond to various alphabets and numeral systems. While there do seem to be Arabic figures, some of the symbols resemble those found in alphabets from South Arabian to Berber in just comparing them. The 'square' seems comprised of various symbols of this sort rather than Arabic calligraphy. On the reverse side however, there appears some markings that do resemble Arabic.
Again, I am far from a linguist, so these are entirely lay observations.

Very much looking forward to more on this!

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote