Thread: Mystery knife
View Single Post
Old 14th November 2017, 06:32 AM   #33
Robert
EAAF Staff

Yes, thank you for posting these Ian. As for age I think that because of the overall quality and workmanship displayed and the way that the scabbards are pinned together instead of using bands would date these to the 1930's/40's. I would also agree that these were made to be used and not for the tourist trade. If I remember correctly the process for the mass production of aluminum was discovered in the 1890's so it could have easily been introduced to the Philippines in the late 19th or early 20th century by American servicemen. One of the first uses of aluminum was making kitchen utensils (plates, cups pots and pans) so it could also have arrived in the Philippines any time from the late 1890's on through normal trade. Would it be possible for you to post one additional photo of these items showing the blades to go with the one showing them in their scabbards ? Congratulations for being able to find not only one, but two of these seemingly rare bolos and in such great condition as well. Of course you do realize now that you have shown these I will have to keep searching until I can find a nice example to add to my own collection.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote