View Single Post
Old 15th October 2009, 08:36 AM   #11
Chris Evans

Hi Cathey,

Jim McDougall has greatly flattered my superficial knowledge of "Criollo" (Creole) edged weapons by inviting my comments on this piece.

Before Jim made his kind invitation, I saw your post, but was reluctant to say anything about this piece because everything about is atypical of Argentina, indeed South America, but of course, proving this view would be more difficult than just saying so. However, given Abel Domenech's expert view, quoted in Lee's informative post, and Jim's aforementioned invitation, I have gained the encouragement needed to say something, but sadly can do little better than wholeheartedly agree with every word of Mr Domenech.

If at all I could make a small contribution, it would be by way of emphasizing Mr Domenech's words to the effect that all sorts of edged wares found their way to and were used in Sth America. So, whilst the ornate metal hilted and furnished knife fashioned from either discarded swords, bayonets or trade blades, by the end of the 19th century did become representative of the River Plate region, nevertheless these were by no means universal.

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote