View Single Post
Old 31st October 2015, 04:53 PM   #1
kronckew

Default isizenze - or not? (not - it's indian)

just won this one on ebay, due in next week.

billed as a "SOUTH AFRICAN ZULU SHONA AXE" by the vendor, who was/is also selling anumber of other south african non-weapon items. the asymmetrical blade, haft, serrated back edge looked much like a zulu stabbing axe, the carved decor less zulu-ish, possibly a tribute weapon from a conquered shona neighbour? whatever it's origins, i like it.

the final conundrum - while there are eye-socketed axes up north in the arab/muslim areas of africa, the more southerly areas all seem to have a tang inserted in a perpendicular hole drilled/burnt into the haft, usually in a bend or bulbous area, tho the 'ceremonial' zulu ones seem to favour just going thru the main shaft in a weaker joint. i have a zulu axe with a heavy thick chevron blade that has the typical inserted tang reinforced with a steel sheet wrap and a 'keeper' under the peening on the obverse side. this new one has a socket and also a protrusion of a small half moon counter-blade - i will find out if it is sharp on arrival.

has anyone seen an axe like this before? thanks for any info y'all may have. i can't find anything similar here or via google/yahoo/bing/wiki.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 1st November 2015 at 01:11 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote