View Single Post
Old 6th March 2021, 02:27 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

The very esoteric topic of these Khevsur people has long been a personal favorite since I first became aware of them in the early 90s. They are primarily a mountaineer, tribal people of the Caucasus mountains situated closely to Georgia.
I first became aware of them from the book by the adventure writer Richard Halliburton," Seven League Boots" (1935), describing his visit to these people where he was stunned to find medieval warriors cap a' pied in mail armor, helmets and swords.

This is the source of the anecdote Wayne referenced in the last post. The straight blade sword he added is a more recent example of this type which they actually use in duels, at least they still did in the 1930s.
The term 'pranguli' for these straight blade dueling swords was told to me by the French arms author Iaroslav Lebedynsky, who had written a book on the arms of the Cossacks and Caucasians in about 1992 if I recall.

The Khevsur saber posted here appears to be with a Daghestani blade, which were fashioned after the Solingen imports heavily used prior to c. 1850s, when they began forging their own. The reason the character of these swords is so strongly Georgian is because Tiflis (Tblisi) was the main point of contact for the Khevsurs in their trade and supplies. This was a center for not only trade, but arms production where components and influences from many sources influenced the also diverse artisans working there.

As Mefidk has pointed out, there would be no reason for adding these decorative features to a well aged blade. These floral devices may have been aesthetic however they often incorporate key symbolism coming from the animist folk religion followed by the Khevsurs.

The 'gurda' mark mentioned refers to the dentated arc near the hilt on the blade, which is typical of the variations of these 'sickle' marks copied from the blades earlier brought in from Styria and N. Italy (Genoan). These dentated arcs, which originated in Italy, represented quality, and the Caucasian blade makers adopted them to express similar meaning, calling them 'gurda'. The etymology of the term is unclear, but Isa Askhabov ("Chechen Arms', 2001) suggests the colloquial meaning is 'jaws', that they 'eat' iron.
The two initials (?) as appear , CV? may be makers initials as often occur on these blades in that blade quadrant if I have understood correctly.

One of the best references on Caucasian weapons recently published and in English is "Caucasian Arms and Armor by Kirill Rivkin (2015), in which a number of swords of Ariel's are included. The examples, photography and profound insights expressed are remarkable and highly informative.

The attached grouping of Khevsur edged weapons:
On left, saber with embossed brass hilt, blade Persian, trade
small dagger with 'gurda' marks en motif.
Pranguli, believed with blade from Chechen aul of Bolshiye Ataghi with the gurda marks in linear motif as with decorative fashion there along blade back.

Remaining pics are of this 'pranguli' which began my Khevsur 'adventure' back in early 90s. This example likely turn of the century, possibly slightly earlier. Note the geometric devices at the upper quadrant of blade near hilt. These seem to correspond to other symbols used in material culture in these regions and somewhat in motif in Daghestani textiles.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 6th March 2021 at 03:46 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote