View Single Post
Old 5th January 2022, 02:00 AM   #24
ruiter58

Default The weapon

Hello Ian,

Thank you for this thread. It is both a very good summary and also detailed on some points. It is spot on and great reference material!
I hope this will interest more people in the (Dutch) klewang. I stated in an earlier post that I am Dutch and collect the Dutch type klewang. I bought my first klewang in 1975 (did not know it was a klewang) but from the first moment I had it in my hand I knew that it was a formidable weapon; at that moment my search on information started too and was limited to bookstores and libraries. Information was scarce and limited. At some point I found a small book (By J.P. Puype) which was about Dutch swords, sabers etc. from the 1600's on. There were a few pages on the Klewang and I contacted J.P. Puype. I had 4 klewangs (1983) and he was willing to take a look at them. He was not interested in the M1913 or M1911 as they were regular and standard issues and shown in the book. He was interested in a M1898 and a M1912 Marine (Navy) klewang. He made examination reports on them (with some drawings!) and had them photographed by the Army Museum Photographer. He gave me full copies of these reports which I, of course, still have and cherish.
So, my interest in the klewang is not new and the more I learn the more interesting the klewang gets. Not many weapons can look back on such a long history. Military use from 1898 until 1962 (New Guinea) and Police use from about the early 1900's until now, as it is still used (The M1913 that is) by today's Marechaussees on guard and ceremonial duties.

The following is said about the origin of the (M1898) klewang: “Shrouded in vague legend, born in deadly battle"

I think the most valuable compliment on the Dutch type klewang is made by the TNI, the Indonesian Freedom Fighters, they made, and used, a 100% copy of the M1911, the weapon of the enemy.

Kind regards,
Ron de Ruiter
Dutch, but living in the Czech Republic now
ruiter58 is offline   Reply With Quote