View Single Post
Old 11th December 2004, 07:42 AM   #6
MABAGANI

Lew, I had tried test cuts with my long spearhead similar to yours in size this afternoon, Federico did a great etch job on it a few years ago, I wanted to bring out the pamor back out in the center panels, had the original brass ferrule but had to rebuild the shaft at the time, I went with a five foot oak stained black so I could practice with it in a tight space, my den. It handles like a short sword on the end of the stave, formidable weapon for thrust and cut, extra long and short range...cut/thrusts as well if not better than some swords.
I agree the size range varies depending on use, the smaller ones probably more for throwing, the larger type can serve dual purposes if needed. There is even a great variation in the length of the poles. I picked up an uncut one years ago from Farrow about 12 feet with a smaller sized spearhead.
Zamboanga, nice collection, I notice a Tausug hat on the side too, is the flag in the back a rendition of an early battle or ceremonial flag? I'd also be interested in your opinion on the distinguishing features of the different type Moro spears, Tausug, Samal, Mindanao, etc...
MABAGANI is offline   Reply With Quote