Thread: Palawan Badung
View Single Post
Old 26th November 2018, 10:28 PM   #11
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
... in light of the Sabah badung-like blades you referenced to, I am proposing three hypotheses:

1. The Sabah leaf blade is the 'father' of both barungs and badungs. Badungs stayed closer to the father-blade, as Palawan life was more utility-based; the barung evolved due to its use as a combat weapon.

2. The barung is the father of both badungs and Sabah leaf blades. The barung evolved due for utility purposes as BangsaMoro refugees who fled from Sulu arrived at Palawan and Sabah in search for a more peaceful life.

3. They are independent blades. The common leaf-blade shape is only coincidental; the ukkil indicates that they were used commonly by BangsaMoro; the blade profiles indicate that the Palawan and Sabah badungs are for utility purposes, while the barung is an exclusive combat blade.

Once again, I would like the acknowledge the help of my esteemed friend who was an ex-forum member. Credits also to a gracious Yakan weaver (from whom I buy my BangsaMoro blades from).
Nice summary of the possible connections among these blades. The Sabah style dates back to at least mid-20th C and possibly earlier, and was still being made into the 2000's. Of the three possibilities, I would favor number 2 but I don't have any good evidence for saying that.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote