View Single Post
Old 25th February 2009, 02:49 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

LOL!!! A 'kaskouba' Bill ?!!!! ...absolutely beautiful !!!! I love it!

Martin...thank you for the supporting detail on the Cameroon swords, with which this seems to share distinct influences. This does remind me of the Mandara arm swords we discussed some time ago, those with the 'skull crusher' pommels.
Nicely observed Lew, on the Tebu wrap and those pommels.

Colin, very much agree, the caravans with Pilgrims to Mecca did indeed provide transit for many weapons along with all manner of trade items, in most cases brought by individuals to sell or barter in financing thier journey. The observation on the pommel is outstanding, and exactly what I was trying to place....it is indeed much in the manner of those Omani kattaras, but without the peak. The Omani trade that traversed the African continent from its main base in its Sultanate at Zanzibar definitely accounted for many instances of weapons diffusion along those routes.
This is in my opinion, why the distinct flared scabbard that is so typical of the Sudanese kaskara is solidly a component of the Manding sabre scabbards in Mali......as well as how the Moroccan s'boula daggers became situated in Zanzibar where Burton (after Demmin) declared these 'Zanzibar swords'.

This sword might easily have been sold along these routes, and refurbished in Nilotic regions in Sudan, with influences from Omani kattaras that certainly may have entered these spheres as well.

These kinds of intriguing hybrids are what makes the study of ethnographic weapons the exciting adventure that it is!!! Its not always easy to get my armchair 'howdah' mounted on those camels, but as much as I can...there I am!!! bouncing along in the middle of those caravans!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote