View Single Post
Old 27th February 2012, 04:10 AM   #9
LewisB

I really should have posted that line the smith used: "Light as a feather, sharp as a razor, flexible as a (grape) vine." As soon as I heard it the first time, it leapt out at me, and the distinction the presenters drew between sword and knife derived long blades made quite an impression.

I have long had a suspicion that the Russian military, after the shashka was adopted as the official cold arm of the Army, might have adopted the general look of the shashka (i.e., slightly eared handle and lack of guard) while substituting a more traditionally "saber-esque" blade, i.e., starting out of fairly thick stock and exhibiting radical distal taper, but this is only suspicion.

I have always assumed, further, that there is some sort of connection between the vestigial ears of the shashka, and the more prominent ears on the yataghan. Once more, however, this is primarily assumption on my part.

I find the spread of weaponry from one place to another quite as interesting as the spread of food from one place to another. Spain's paella is quite similar to Italy's pilaf, and Russia's plov, and Afghanistan's pilau, all essentially seasoned meat (or seafood) with rice.

I am full of enthusiasm, but I have a great dearth of actual knowledge. I do have Avtatsvaturian's books in PDF format (Weapons of the Caucasian Peoples and Turkish Weapons), but I confess that although my conversational Russian is good, it's hard work reading these in Russian.
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote