Thread: Datu Ivory Kris
View Single Post
Old 8th August 2007, 07:09 PM   #21
BSMStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevennevele
Irrational exuberance?

A person can do whatever they want with their own money. And even if a person pays $1000 for a pet rock, it’s not going to drive up the prices of other pet rocks unless such value becomes the norm due to interest and a lack of supply for the demand.
I've collected WWII German militaria... I've watched SS helmets go from $75 bucks to $3000 in a 40 year span.

I’ve collected Japanese swords…and watched as the Japanese were heavily buying them back in the 1990’s… watching prices go through the roof (but many were going back home, where they were truly respected and appreciated).

I collect Soviet period militaria... and in 10 years, primo Soviet Orders have jumped 10 to 20 times in value. I am glad that I got what I got, when I did. Back when passionate collectors were boldly venturing out to gather these prized pieces of history after the “fall” of the Union… before it became an “investor’s” world.

20 years ago, dealers were having a tough time selling true Datu quality Moro pieces for 45 to100 bucks… to see them today passing the $1000 mark and pushing towards $2000. That’s crazy. To see a “so-so” piece being pushed beyond that is pure insanity (someone was number 2 on this bid to drive it that high).

The point that I am trying to make… is that when people jump into “collecting” with little knowledge or care for the subject, are willing to throw big bucks at it for the simple reason of turning a profit… that kills it for collectors who have a passion and do it solely for the love of history and culture.

Simply... there is nothing left to study. It becomes locked up in some investor's closet.

I guess its starting to be time to collect something like “locks and pulls” (that would be door knobs)… or is it already too late to get into that? If not, is someone going to start a forum on it?
BSMStar is offline   Reply With Quote