View Single Post
Old 5th March 2023, 01:19 PM   #67
awdaniec666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teisani View Post
c3 - Tomb effigy of Telegdi Miklós († before 1548, effigy made in 1563, 15 years later) - Tileagd/Mezőtelegd, Bihor county, Romania. Strange looking hilt, but worth including here, Not sure if koncerz or pallash.

Photo:http://www.kjnt.ro/ertektar/ertek/a-...rmatus-templom
I would dintinguish a koncerz from a pallasch by the following:

The Koncerz was not worn at ones body because it was too long. Carried while attached to saddle. Also the Koncerz wasn´t meant for fencing on foot with its lenght > 120 cm (up to 170 cm). There may or may not have been shortened versions which could be used also for fencing but I would expect them to have a more complex hilt in Western style which would basically result in a Rapier..
A Pallasch, for those who may read this and don´t know, has a medium lenght (ca. 80-90 cm) but broad (3-4 cm) blade and can be single (later)- or double-edged (earlier examples). Earlier ones tend to have a centric point while those from the 2nd half of the 18th century up to the end of the Napoleonic times tend to have a hatchet tip in Austrian and Hungarian regions. Some countries like France and German states however kept the centric point up until this kind of sword went out of use.

Judging by the hilt of mentioned epitaph I would not be surprised if that sword turned out to be a double-edged side sword by the way - the borders to the definition of an early Pallasch seem to be very fluent and doubtlessly the later evolved from the sidesword.
awdaniec666 is offline   Reply With Quote