View Single Post
Old 12th February 2018, 01:16 PM   #8
Victrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drabant1701
It was of interest to me, thanks. Seeing the french sword with the german blade made me remember that there is a swedish saber m/1859 that can some times found with damascus steel blades. Those blades often marked Eisenhauer, Damaststahl. While looking for such a sword I found somthing interesting on this link:

https://digitaltmuseum.se/011024401198/sabel-m-1859

The sword in this link actually has the marks in swedish. It says "Jernhuggare" and "Stål Damast". The literal translaten of "jernhuggare" to english is "iron cutter. The blade is made in germany, so at somepoint someone had to translate the meaning of Eisenhauer to swedish. It has the swedish king Carl XVs monogram and he was king between 1959 and 1972, so the sword would be from between those years.
I never saw it written in Swedish before. Solingen was obviously quite customer orientated. You clearly mean that the sword must be from the reign of Carl XV between 1859 and 1872.

Wagner’s Cut & Thrust Weapons has an Austrian naval officer’s sabre, model 1862 on p.449. It looks similar to your beautiful sabre but the blade is etched with the Habsburg double-headed eagle on one side and a crown and anchor on the other.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote