View Single Post
Old 30th January 2016, 12:01 PM   #16
cornelistromp

I found out in the meantime, that there's not many study for the simple crosshilted sword in the post-medieval period.
according to Claude Blair ( An English sword with an ottoman blade in the swiss national museum) this hiltvorm was in the civilian and military dress till the mid of the 16th century but there after seems to have gone out of fashion, until in the beginning of the 17th century it returned again mainly in the civilian dress.
the available evidence for the use of Such swords in the 17th century actually only comes from England.

See attached a simple English cross hilted sword with a similar paddle shaped guard as the sword under discussion, simple in form of course not the decoration.

me fecit salingen seems a corruption of mefecit solingen, I do not believe salingen is the name of a sword maker, because often the first and last name of the sword maker was mentioned in the inscription.See an example of a rapier, 1630 in the V & A museum, monogram; inscribed ‘Me Fecit Salingen’ and inlaid with a running wolf.
Also an example inscribed mefecit Solingen.

best,
jasper
Attached Images

Last edited by cornelistromp; 30th January 2016 at 12:17 PM.
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote